12.21.2013

After I Wouldn't Pray at Thanksgiving Dinner

You would think Jesus himself had just popped up
Out of the table dressed in drag, it was so damn silent.
My aunt just sat there and clutched feebly at her chest,
And gasped like she had been shot and was now bleeding 
Through a wide, gaping maw of a hole laid bare in her chest,
While everyone else stared, blank eyes uncomprehending.

I tried to keep my head up level and to fight the urge to 
sink straight down into Hell, while my uncle looked down 
In sorrow at the homemade macaroni in particular.
I could tell by the look on his face that he didn’t expect 
To ever get the chance to stuff his stomach with food now.

Then my cousin turned towards me to introduce her new 
Husband, now looking quite pale, as a Minister for their 
Lutheran church. And after all this, I couldn’t help it. 
My arms came up to cradle my head, and I then let out a snort 
That turned quickly into  helpless giggles of torture, the atheist 
Now offered up as a sacrifice to all, right next to the roasted turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment