4.08.2015

Confession

The truth is that I was a coward.

I pretended that I didn’t hear the fights, 
didn’t see the bruises in the morning.
I was too afraid of being hurt myself,
and so when the screaming started I
threw the covers up over my head and
lay there shaking until all was quiet again.


I never spoke up. 
I didn’t try to help you. 
I was selfish, and much 
too worried about my own safety.

I’m sorry for that, and even sorrier 
that, if I could go back, I’d make 
those same decisions all over again.

But if this repeats in the future, 
I swear to you that I will not run. 
I will not hide. I will not close 
my eyes and hold my breath 
and wish and wish for it all to end.

I will open my mouth and say, “Stop. 
Don’t do this. Quit hurting this incredible 
person who I love so very much.”

I know this won’t make up for my past 
cowardice, that nothing ever really can 
or will. Still, I promise that if you need 
me from now on, I will be there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment