5.14.2016

Ashes in the Wind

Let’s make this hurt more
This selfish wish of mine
To be free, let the blood
Run down, covering me
What should I sacrifice
Something precious and
Fragile, worthy of my goal
I’m splintering into a million
Shards, but there’s nothing
To hold onto in this storm
My only choice is to light
The fire and burn my flesh
To hear my tortured screams
Until the very last, when it’s
Done and I’m nothing but the
Empty shell I started out as
Though hopefully I will be
Holding onto something new
And shiny to cradle in my hands
To tell myself that all my pain
Held some meaning, purpose,
Other than amusement, but
What will I do if I open my
palms and all that’s in them
Is ash and cinders, and I can’t
Keep them in my grasp, can
Only watch as they slip through
My shaking fingers, the smell of
Sulfur in my nose, cracked lips
Parting in a silent cry of despair
As everything I gave up becomes
For nothing, was never enough for
The toll, what will I give then, all
Of me, everything, my soul, but
What if that’s not enough either
And the only thing that remains
After is dust scattered in the wind 

No comments:

Post a Comment