9.18.2016

In the Dark - Part 6

Nighttime falls. Only, instead of continuing to hide, now the darkness means that it’s time for us to venture outside. The first time I join in a hunt, I can barely hear anything over my heartbeat pounding in my ears. I feel so nauseous that I doubt I’ll be of any help even if we do come across some monsters.

The ground trembles, and I have to stop myself from flinching at every small noise. Every shadow outside of our circle of torches jumps and leaps across the trees, and every movement causes my heart to stop for just a second, sure that it’s one of the monsters about to devour me.

The others are quiet, moving carefully through the night. They’re obviously practiced at this, and they seem to be following some path visible only to them. I want to ask where we’re going, but I can’t make myself speak out loud. I’m afraid of drawing attention to us.

---------------------------

Want to know what happens next? Check out the full and edited story here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVY71NW.

No comments:

Post a Comment